Thursday, October 25, 2012

Week 10

Week 10 was a little like Week 9, sort of. All I managed to do was swimming, because my impromptu road trip kind of kicked my butt. And then swimming kicked it even more.

The problem with swimming was that 1) I went to the morning session on Tuesday because I hadn't been up to going on Monday night after I got back from Chicago/Cincinnati. The morning people are considerably faster than I am and faster than some of the rest of the evening people, so I had to try and keep up. I did, barely. Which is another "problem", because since I could keep up, my coach figured I was ready to push it a bit more, which she did on Wednesday. And I kept up again, for the most part. But, I paid for it on Thursday through Sunday in a big way. My back started agitating (that might have been more from the car trip and my somewhat miserable attempt to do butterfly on Wednesday than anything else, though), I was exhausted (that could also have been stress) and just in case I wasn't paying attention to those two things poking at me, my body sent up one of its bigger SOS's in the form of post-herpetic neuralgia. I had shingles in February 2011 and despite being on the nerve medication for 2 months, I seem to be one of the small percentage of people who still experiences the pain long after the episode has cleared up. Fortunately, it's not constant in my case. It pops up when I'm overly tired or not feeling well or very stressed. Also fortunately, it's uncomfortable, and it doesn't go away with Advil (although Tramadol blunts it somewhat), but it's not incapacitating (high pain threshhold for the win!). And, honestly, I'd rather my body choose that as an SOS instead of making my twitchy airways extra reactive, because asthma attacks are doubleplus ungood.

So, the upshot was, I didn't get any of my other workouts in last week. This was mildly annoying, but there is only so far I'm willing to push through my body yelling at me and last week was too far. Fortunately, a weekend of sitting around and watching football and taking naps has put me back to rights, more or less. And Week 11 has shaped up to be better, thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment