Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Day 23: 20 Minute Bike

I don't know, is the counting days thing getting old? I sort of feel like it is. But at the same time, look at that, 23 days and I've only completely missed one workout (last Friday- I was supposed to go swim, but I was exhausted and forgot my stuff in the morning before work and just came home and crashed).

Today was 20 minutes of biking, and apparently muscle memory extends to my dupke, because it was much less painful today than it was last week. I used to do a fair amount of bike riding a few years ago when I lived in Yellow Springs (everyone does a fair amount of bike riding in Yellow Springs), but I haven't done any since moving away from there. My apartment in Cleveland was a third floor walkup and there wasn't anywhere to put my bike, so I didn't take it with me. And this summer was so icky and my bike needs some work, so I didn't do any riding this summer. I'm still getting a pair of padded bike shorts, but this is going better than I expected.

I also did some preliminary shoe hunting today. I was going to just borrow my mom's Merrills, because I did one day and they were much more comfortable than my shoes. Except, well, Mom's feet are a 9.5 and mine are closer to an 8. Now, I usually wind up with an 8.5 in running shoes, but that's still a size larger. So, my feet were just rattling around in them today when I wore them all day. I'm guessing it wasn't an issue the other day, because I only wore them for about an hour at the most. But it would probably not be safe for me to attempt to run in these shoes, because I was tripping just walking in them. So, I hit up Famous Footwear this evening to try some shoes. I tried a pair of New Balance shoes, since the running shoes I've liked the best were New Balance, but they didn't feel like they had a lot of cushioning and from what I've been reading, cushioning is what I really want to be looking for in a shoe. I have very, very high arches and I walk on the outsides of my feet, so I don't need a motion control shoe (which is for people whose feet roll inward when they walk/run). So, I need a neutral shoe with cushioning. Then, I tried on a pair of Saucony shoes that had much more cushion to them, but I wasn't sure they were the right kind of shoe, because it didn't say so on the box. So I took a photo of the box and came home to check the internet. Turns out that, yes, they are the right kind of shoe. However, the 8.5 didn't have enough room between my toes and the end of the shoe (they must run crazy small. Seriously, my left foot measures at a tiny bit more than a 7.5. There should be no way an 8.5 is too short), and they didn't have a 9. So, tomorrow, I'll be trying a different store, and maybe a couple other pairs of shoes to be sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment