Thursday, September 13, 2012

Days 30, 31 and 31: Walk/Run, Strength Training and Swimming

I did actually get all my workouts in so far this week. I've just been too busy/tired when I get home to record them, so I'm doing it all at once right now.

Day 30: Tuesday: Walk 28, Run 2.

This turned into walk 20, run 2, because I was having an extremely flaky morning and I was running late. But, the most important part of the workout was the 2 minutes of running. In a row. Without stopping. And without complaining lungs until the very, very end, which is especially impressive, given that my allergies are awful at the moment (bad year for ragweed, plus the weather's so nice at night that we turned the AC off, so I'm sleeping with open windows which I'm not really supposed to do. I figure if I can breathe well enough to run, then I'm fine). My back didn't complain much either, although my ankle wasn't happy. But it walked off just fine and it was achy pain, not sharp, oh, I sprained it again pain. It'll get used to it.

Day 31: Strength Training

Yesterday, I met with Kevin the trainer, who was very nice and very willing to design a program for me that I can do on my own that will help with the swimming and the running (I figure whatever muscle I build for those two things will probably serve me fine on the biking). So, yesterday, we concentrated on what to do to train my shoulders, one of which is a little touchy. I separated it about 10 years ago, and it flares up now and again. Swimming isn't really aggravating it anymore- it was at first, but it settled down- but I'd like to prevent further injury and get stronger. So I now have an upper body, shoulder focused workout to do. It was relatively painless in terms of how much I really detest weight lifting (and I told him that up front) and only uses one machine whereupon I might feel exceedingly short compared to the machine. My main complaint about weight machines is that they are all apparently designed for men who are roughly 6 feet tall. Being as I am demonstrably not a man, nor 6 feet tall, this deserves a #fail on the part of the imaginations of the designers of said machines. And it's annoying. I made the happy discovery yesterday that cable machines are much, much better in terms of flexibility of design for a wider cross section of users. That is something I can probably get behind.

Day 32: Swimming

My coach sent us all a text message around 20 to 6 that she wasn't feeling well and cancelling practice. Only thing is, I was already on my way and didn't get the message until I got there. Actually, I didn't get it until I left- another woman had gotten it when she got to the gym and let me know. Since I was already awake and already dressed and already sitting with my feet in the pool, I shrugged and swam anyway. I think I almost have the head position thing down- I can tell when I pick my head up now. Breath control is still an issue, but I think I'm getting better. I made up my own workout for the day. I was going to try to do a distance ladder where I swam 50, then 100, then 150, then 200, then back down, all with 2 minutes per 50, which is what I've been doing during practice. So, I got to the 150 and my shoulders started getting really, really cranky. I couldn't figure out why they were upset. Until it dawned on me that I did a full, brand new shoulder work out about 12 hours before. Apparently, you should get more than 12 hours of rest between your upper body workout and making your shoulders work so hard in the pool. Or at least I should get more than 12 hours of rest between the two. This will not be a problem moving forward, since swimming is moving to the evening. So, instead of finishing the ladder, I did another 50 and another 100 and then practiced flip turns for awhile because I'm getting tired of stopping and turning at the wall. It may take awhile for me to get through a full practice with flips, but I'm feeling reasonably confident I know where the wall is now.

No comments:

Post a Comment