Sunday, September 16, 2012

Training Plan Changes...Again

So, I suppose it's a good thing that I didn't expect my training plan to be static, because it's changed more often than...a really change-y thing.

The way things were originally planned was 1 day of swimming, 3 days of walk/run, 1 day of cycling. That changed pretty quickly as I figured out my swimming endurance wasn't as high as I thought it was, and also because I joined the Masters' swimming, which is twice a week. So, then it looked like 2 days of swimming, 2 days of walk/run and 1 day of cycling. But then I realized that some strength training was probably going to be necessary to keep me from hurting myself. Then, the plan looked like 2 days of swimming, 2 days of walk/run, and 1 day of cycling and strength training. And then...it occurred to me after doing a fair amount of reading that 1 day of strength training is generally not thought to be sufficient. And I want to do a spinning class for my cycling. And then someone mentioned overtraining could be part of why I'm really tired (maybe. There's a few other possibilities). So, the plan is changing again. I'm backing off a day for a few weeks until I get the strength training incorporated, and then I'm adding the spinning class (it helps that I didn't want to start the spinning class until I got a pair of cycling shorts. They're on their way).

Until the 1st week of October, the plan looks like this:

  • Monday: Swimming (from 7-8pm, thank God)
  • Tuesday: Strength Training and Run/Walk*
  • Wednesday: Swimming
  • Thursday: Strength Training and Run/Walk
*Strength training and then doing the run/walk may or may not work. I'm not sure yet. But that's the only two days it works, because the run/walk workout is only 30 minutes, and everything else is 60 minutes and I'm definitely not doing a strength workout before or after swimming.

Starting in October, the plan looks like this:

  • Monday: Swimming
  • Tuesday: Strength Training and Run/Walk
  • Wednesday: Swimming
  • Thursday: Strength Training and Run/Walk
  • Friday: Spinning Class
It's entirely possible that the days will shift, depending on a million potential complications, but the general outline should stay the same now. I hope. 

No comments:

Post a Comment