Thursday, August 23, 2012

Day 11: 15 minute bike/ Training Plan Update

Wait, what? Wasn't I supposed to be walking today? Yeah, well, I had one of those days where I looked at what I was supposed to be doing today and said, "I don't wanna". So, when I looked at the email from Google Calendar that said "Walk 15 min", I hemmed and hawed and delayed until I thought, "wait, I could ride the bikes instead of walking." That was more palatable, so I did it.

I also did some thinking and poking at the Training Plan, given what I thought about yesterday. I don't want to go over 5 days of training a week, but I think I need more than one swimming day a week and some additional strength training. So, given that I decided that being able to do the swim without stopping is a more important goal than being able to run the entire 20 minutes, I'm knocking the walk/run plan down to twice a week, instead of three times a week. Right now, the current plan looks like this:

Now to the end of September:                                     October to March:
Monday- walk/run                                                          Monday- walk/run
Tuesday- walk/run                                                          Tuesday- swim
Wednesday- swim lessons                                              Wednesday- walk/run
Thursday- rest day                                                          Thursday- bike
Friday- walk/run                                                             Friday- walk/run

The new plan looks like this:

Now to the end of September:                                     October to March:
Monday- walk/run                                                          Monday- walk/run
Tuesday- bike/strength training                                        Tuesday- swim
Wednesday- swim lessons                                              Wednesday- walk/run
Thursday- walk/run                                                        Thursday- swim
Friday- swim                                                                  Friday- bike/strength training

It is, of course, subject to change, depending on how things work out. I may do a spinning class once a week for the bike training, and that might rearrange the days things happen depending on how the class fits into my schedule (they have many classes a week, it shouldn't be too hard to find one that works). And yeah, I know, there should probably be 2 strength training sessions a week, but let's start with one.

I'm taking the advice of my cousin Lori, who suggested that there may be yoga based exercises that would work (since I really do dislike weight lifting). A little Google-fu later, and I came across this set of shoulder exercises and this video to try out. I'll start there and see how that goes. If not, then I'll start looking at more traditional methods.

No comments:

Post a Comment