Thursday, August 16, 2012

Day 4: Rest Day

Today is a rest day. This month, I have one rest day during the week and both weekend days (although I will most likely go play in the pool with Mom on Saturday. That doesn't really count). So, today, I just did my yoga.

Speaking of training plans, here is the basic outline of mine. Three days a week, I'm following this Conservative Running Plan. It's basically a Couch to 5K plan, just slower. I have asthma that's triggered by exercise (among other things), and I've tried the Couch to 5K plan before and found that it was too aggressive for me. My lungs couldn't handle the amount of running that you start out with (alternating 60 seconds of running with 90 seconds of walking for 20 minutes). I could do it for two, maybe three times, but then I had to just walk. Even after repeating Week 1 several times, I still couldn't manage that pace. The Conservative plan starts out with just walking the first month, and then goes with running for 2 minutes and walking for 28 minutes (you choose how you split that time). It builds from there over 20 weeks, as opposed to over 9 weeks. That will stay constant the entire time I'm training.

In addition to the three days a week of walking/running, I will have swim lessons once a week until the end of September.  Once swim lessons are over, I will start swimming one day a week for increasing distances. I'm not entirely sure exactly where I will start, but I'll add 100 yards every two-four weeks, depending on how I feel. I may add an additional swimming day as well. I haven't entirely decided yet and it depends on a number of factors, such as how my back stands up to the walking/running and swimming. I've been pretty consistent working out 3 days a week most weeks the past couple of months (with the exception of June, when I was sick most of the month) and that's been going all right, but I don't want to ramp things up too quickly and aggravate my lower back issues.

In October, I'll also add in a day on the stationary bike. Again, I'll start small- 15 minutes to begin with- and add 5 minutes every two-four weeks depending on how I feel. This is also to prevent aggravating back issues. It's mildly annoying- I kind of want to just jump in and go, but I'd like to not be in crazy amounts of pain, either. Five days of working out a week is likely the limit, at least at this point.

I'm still going to continue doing my yoga every day (okay. Most days. Probably 75% of the days). On the days I'm also training, I just do the morning warm-up and then some stretching after I'm done working out. On the days I don't have an additional workout, I usually do a daily practice from this book: Om Yoga: A Guide to Daily Practice. It has different practices for each day of the week. I like Sunday the best- it's all relaxation poses. But I do the others, too, except for Saturday, which is all inversions, which make me nervous to do without an instructor. My daily warm-up comes from this book, too.

So, that is the plan as it stands right now! I'm sure there will be adjustments and changes along the way, but I think it's a good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment