Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Day 2: 15 minute walk

Today is another walking day. 15 minutes this time, at 3.0 mph on the treadmill (no incline. I may fuss with inclines later, but for now, let's just work on the basics).

There's an issue with my running shoes- well, there's been an issue with these shoes since shortly after I bought them. They fit in the toe box very well, and they're a good length (running shoes run small. I had to get a size 9, and I'm usually a size 7.5 or 8 in casual shoes). And they fit fine around my oddly shaped ankles. But for some reason, they made the bottoms of my feet hurt around my arches and my heels. I thought it was a breaking in issue, but it never really got better. And it's only these shoes- my other shoes are all fine- so I was pretty sure it wasn't my feet themselves. So, today I went and tried the Dr. Sholl's insole computer thing at CVS, and it told me I have low arches and high foot pressure. The high foot pressure, I believe. The low arches are a little puzzling, because if you look at my feet, I have super high arches. The middle of my foot barely touches the ground. The insoles they recommended were $50, and while I'm certain that is cheaper than a prescription orthotic insole, that's not going to work for me at the moment. So I bought a pair of sport insoles with arch support and heel cushioning (which were two things the recommendation said would be a good idea) for $17 to try first. They did feel much cushier than the insoles that came with my shoes (which are probably broken down by now. I've had these shoes for a while now). The arch support didn't hit in the exact right spot (I have oddly shaped feet), so the first half of my walk was a little painful, but then I stopped and adjusted the insoles and the second half was better, so I think I may have it in the right spot now. We'll find out on Friday, when I go for the third walk of the week- tomorrow is swimming!

No comments:

Post a Comment